Thursday, November 26, 2015

[Raving] One punch man makes my spirit burn with in a way I haven't felt since I first watched Dragon Ball Z when I was a kid


Don't even care if this gets deleted or removed, just wanted to share this with a community that understands.I just watched the first episode of One Punch Man and just had my mind fucking blown. I am absolutely floored at the technical mastery that has gone into this show.The animation level of detail in this show is far above and beyond anything I've seen in a while. Madhouse has outdone themselves in paying insane levels of detail to every single frame where it matters. There are so many little details in the shading and lighting that anybody on a time crunch could imagine throwing out if they were drawing this show. eg. there is a scene where Saitama's bald head reflects the grocery store, like you have to WANT that there to go through such efforts to draw that. Every single cameo, every single nod to other well known superhero anime/show has had the illustration match to its original nearly perfectly (my jaw dropped at pollution man's freeze frame, or the old slow-mo face/neck stretching after receiving a punch), as if the animators and illustrators at Madhouse were doing the 21 gun salute to all of their favorite superhero shows. Every explosion feels satisfying, every punch from Saitama feels like the perfect final concluding punch from every other Shounen superhero anime placed together into one amazing love letter to the genre. I can't help by draw analogies to Jack Black's 'Tribute' song: it is an earnest tribute to all superhero animations that pays its respect by showing immense flattery for the fighting/action tropes that have appeared in the genre before it.And speaking of rock, the soundtrack for this show is paired perfectly. It is so clear that the music draws from the campy "HARDCORE ADRENALINE FUELED MANLY METAL" soundtracks of yore, and it is so unabashed in doing so. It basically screams, "HEY! REMEMBER WHEN YOU USED TO THINK THIS IS RAD? TRY FEELING THAT AGAIN IT'S FUCKING GREAT."I finished the first episode, and was so fueled by adrenaline that I got out of bed and went for a FUCKING RUN AT 10 IN THE EVENING, and have come back and still feel like I need to vent about the amazing amounts of ENERGY I have.I remember when I was a little kid, my friends and I would watch DBZ, and at the end of every episode we would get so worked up, we would go outside and pretend be DBZ heroes. Like we would go and be like "yeah man, LET'S FIGHT, I'M GONNA KAMEHAMEHA YOUR ASS", and just run around and play until we were decked out again, and this first episode of One Punch Man made me feel that again.Do I expect the show to keep making me feel that way? Not really. But I am majorly impressed that One Punch Man has made me reconnect with with my memories of this superhero shounen genre, and is clearly doing so intentionally. http://ift.tt/1lNtNes

No comments: